We presume the money has come from a ring-fenced grant from a government agency having been applied for by our cash strapped council. That’s the way local authorities have to work these days. They are not allowed to spend any money on the things we actually need, like council houses and facilities for the disabled and disadvantaged.
The plans are to upgrade and transform Ilford High Road from the junction with Cranbrook Road along to Ilford Police Station and will include Clements Lane, Clements Road and Chadwick Road. The proposed improvements include:
- new trees, greenery, pocket parks and green walls
- a clutter free environment with improved lighting and seating
- public art, informal play sites and high quality spaces for events
- encourage a strong night time economy contributing to a high quality culture, leisure and food offer
- improved pedestrian and cycle routes into the Town Centre, more street cycle stands
- cultural and heritage buildings protected and enhanced
- hub spaces for local and new businesses
The works are due to take place between 2017 and 2019 and our council would like to hear from you on how you use, and perceive, the present offering of Ilford Town Centre and how you think it could be improved.
For more information and to have your say click here.