Monday, November 02, 2015

Save King George A&E Campaign Meeting - Report?


Last Wednesday, 28th October, there was a Save King George A&E campaign meeting held in Fullwell Cross library. Unfortunately this coincided with a Trafficageddon incident in the south of the borough which resulted in no 169 busses at The Glade for at least an hour and a half, (apparently they were all stuck in Ilford Lane) so I was late having walked the length of Fullwell Avenue. So I can’t report, because I missed nearly all of it, except that the following letter has been sent to the Secretary of State.

Dear Mr Hunt
Request to help King George and Queens Hospitals

On 27 October 2011 plans were passed by Andrew Lansley, then Secretary of State for Health, to close King George Hospital A&E. The following guarantee was given that no residents would come to harm as a consequence of the closure:

"The Health Secretary today accepted a report by the Independent Reconfiguration Panel (IRP) on the Health for North East London clinical case for change, which includes the best future for Barking, Havering and Redbridge University Hospitals NHS Trust.

However, no changes will take place until the Care Quality Commission, which published its own report on local services today, has assured the Secretary of State that the services provided by Queen’s Hospital and other local health services are of a high standard." ENDs

This guarantee was broken earlier this year when 24 beds were removed from King George Hospital, a hospital that is in special measures rather than of a high standard. August key safety indicators at the King George and Queens Hospitals declined as a consequence. Beds have also been removed from Queens hospital, the second hospital which makes up our local trust which will also lead to a decline in care.

We ask you to honour the guarantee we were given and intervene to replace the beds, doctors and nurses that have been removed from our hospitals.

2 comments:

  1. A&E faces worst winter ever, top doctor warns

    Bed shortages and cancelled operations loom in NHS emergency

    Record numbers of patients will be stuck on trolleys in corridors or the back of ambulances this winter as hospitals run out of beds because of soaring demand and limited funding, the country’s leading A&E doctor has warned.

    From The Guardian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not really a good time to be opening up intermediate care beds at KGH.

    From the Health Service Journal (Pay site)

    Trust chiefs warn bed occupancy already at winter levels
    2 November, 2015 | By Sophie Barnes

    Bed occupancy in acute trusts is already at the most pressured winter levels, trust chief executives and directors have told HSJ.
    The high bed occupancy rate in the last month has left acute trust chief executives concerned they will have no capacity to open beds during winter, when admissions tend to rise.

    The senior figures warned they have already opened all the extra beds they are able to and are operating at occupancy levels they would not normally expect until later winter months.
    One senior leader said their trust is “full to the gunnels”.
    They added: “We can’t get patients out that don’t need to be here. At one of our hospitals there are at least 50 patients every day that are medically fit for discharge and can’t be discharged. There’s a massive problem and we’re not making inroads on that.”

    One chief executive said their trust is “already fully escalated” and no more beds can be opened. “The problem for me is I don’t know if we can open any more beds, we’re already fully escalated,” they added.
    The chief executive said the trust has been running “winter schemes” non-stop throughout the year “and it’s not making the difference”.
    The permanent nature of these schemes means the funding should be permanently funded by commissioners rather than as a winter scheme allocation, they said. The trust has insisted commissioners stop using non-recurrent funding to pay for schemes that run all year.
    Another chief executive told HSJ it “already feels like winter” and the trust has had to open extra beds to cope with admission levels that are more in line with December and January in previous years.

    James Paget University Hospital Trust recently sent out a “black alert” because all its beds were full. Two weekends ago, 600 people attended the trust’s A&E department, which was an increase of 8 per cent on the same period last year, director of nursing quality and patient experience Liz Libiszewski said.
    Last winter at least 20 hospitals declared “major incidents” because they were unable to accommodate all the patients that needed an admission.
    The closure of care homes following inspections by the Care Quality Commission has made it more difficult for one trust to move patients out of hospital. Its chief executive said: “Where we’ve got problems is that three care homes have now either closed down or being closed down by the CQC in the past 12 months so we’re losing the capacity to move people out of hospital.”
    Bed occupancy is the “main point of concern” for another acute trust chief. They said: “Our occupancy is 99 per cent so we won’t be able to manage the normal seasonal surge which really kicks in in November. The reasons for high occupancy are closure of services at nearby trusts, longer lengths of stay for those awaiting nursing homes and social care combined with increasing complexity in our patients.”

    ReplyDelete