Thursday, April 02, 2015

Wes Streeting, Labour
- #IlfordNorth #GE2015

Intro: All known candidates for the Ilford North constituency in the 2015 General Election have been offered 400 words on this blog. They will be published if and when they are received. Click the GE2015 label below to see all in one view. We also have Hustings on April 18th

Wes Streeting
On May 7th, you face an important choice about who you want to fight your corner in Westminster as your MP. The election in Ilford North will be close between Labour and the Tories and I’m working my socks off to earn every vote.

Ilford North has been let down by this government and its Tory MP. Most people aren’t feeling an economic recovery in their pockets, with poorer pay, conditions and job insecurity. The next generation face prospects worse than the last. Lee Scott broke his promise to vote against higher university fees. Our local NHS is in crisis – with broken promises on King George Hospital, waiting times up for GP appointments, A&E and cancer treatment and Whipps Cross failing because of staffing cuts and the botched NHS reorganisation.

I want a Labour government that’s on our side: cutting taxes for people on low and middle incomes and asking those with the broadest shoulders to bear a greater burden. Helping local businesses by cutting and freezing business rates. Cutting university tuition fees and increasing student grants. Helping parents by expanding free childcare. Taking real action on climate change. And safeguarding the NHS.

Unlike many MPs, I’m from a working class family. I grew up on a council estate in a single parent family and I know what life at the sharp end feels like. I worked my way to university, paying my own way and I’ve spent my career working professionally for charities that support young people from disadvantaged backgrounds to succeed against the odds.

I’m proud to be Deputy Leader of a Labour Council that’s delivering on every single pledge we made to you last May, in spite deep cuts local government.

As your MP, I'll speak my mind and stand up for Ilford North. I live in Barkingside and I've lived in Redbridge for nearly 15 years. I would rather upset you before an election by being honest, than lose your trust after an election by breaking a promise.

This election is not just about competing policies: it’s a competing vision for our country. I want to see power, wealth and opportunity in the hands of the many, not the few. That’s why I’m asking for your support on May 7th.

All the best,
Wes

PS – Feel free to contact me directly on

E-mail: wes@redbridgelabour.org.uk
Phone: 020 3475 7901
Twitter: @wesstreeting
Facebook: Wes Streeting for Ilford North

8 comments:

  1. As I recall, Lee Scott resigned his government post because he could not bring himself to vote for the increase in tuition fees. I remember hearing him on Radio London explaining his reasons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he abstained in the vote against the government whip. However, he "promised" to vote against.

      Delete
  2. I seem to recall that the Labour manifesto at the last Council elections included the promise not to cut services to the vulnerable - cannot someone please explain why vulnerable people who are carers are now expected to pay - regardless of their position for assistance? Carers provide a service - if they stopped caring for their loved ones, it would cost all of us an awful lot more.........
    As for the national deficit, who got us into this mess in the first place? My generation won't be paying the debt back, but my children will and so will their kids - so no, i won't be voting to add to their burden by voting Labour.
    V.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1.5 trillion debt national debt. Why do none of the major parties talk about that figure?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yawn waste of time, including the Tories as well.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have failed the people of Barkingside as you have failed to provide a Toilet as part of the Better Barkingside scheme which was promised at the previous Local Election
    You have failed to consult about expansion of swimming classes at Ilford County High which will result in additional traffic in that area
    and blindly approved this without consulting local residents

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder who this anon could be .... Harold.

      Delete
    2. Whilst I cannot be counted among Wesley's supporters (and know that must come as a blow to him) I fail to see how he can possibly have levelled against him the accusation about increased traffic. All that has happened is that the responsibility for evening and weekend lettings of the swimming pool has transferred from the School to Vision. The pool was used to capacity and cannot therefore increase. The arrangement is to the advantage of the School by way of a 25% increase in income from lettings and certain other benefits.

      The anonymous comment must have been made by somebody with the IQ of a demented tadpole.

      Delete