Sunday, November 16, 2014

Feeding Local People in Crisis


St. Peter’s church Aldborough Hatch has supported the Redbridge Foodbank for some years but the need has never been greater. Over 30,000 people in Redbridge (that’s 10%) are living on the edge of poverty. When you have no financial safety net, a sudden crisis, such as bereavement, benefit delay, home repossession, redundancy or illness can leave you unable to feed yourself or your family. Redbridge foodbank works to support people who find themselves on the edge of disaster.

The following foods may be delivered to St. Peter’s Church at service times on Sundays or on Wednesdays between 10.30am and 12noon or contact Shirley Rudge (TEL: 020 8590 5882): Milk (UHT or powdered), sugar, fruit juice (cartons), soup, pasta sauces, sponge puddings (tinned), cereals, rice puddings (tinned), tea bags/instant coffee, instant mashed potato, rice/pasta, tinned meat/fish, tinned fruit, jam/preserves, baby food/ nappies, biscuits, snack bars, treats – chocolates. sweets, toiletries (men and women), tin openers.

Making a Difference
I sit so downhearted on that old wooden chair
My hair is unwashed and my youngest in care
The flat feels so cold and a draught chills my feet
As I gaze at the bills I know I can’t meet.
How did I get here, does anyone care?
So many have plenty, it’s all so unfair
Child care’s so expensive and wages are low
So what shall I do? I really don’t know!
My eldest is hungry, there’s little to eat
And help from the Social expenses won’t meet.
My eyes fill with tears, but then I think ‘Soap!’
For a friend’s little gift had given me hope.
She’s been to the Foodbank where people were kind
And whatever your background a welcome you’ll find.
The food that’s donated will help you get through
And if you need some advice that’s available too.
Now . . . I’ve talked to my doctor who quickly agreed
That a voucher for Foodbank would help with my need
So while life is still hard, I know others do care
And give thanks to them all for the love that they share.
Vic Danzelman

This article first appeared in the St Peter’s Church Broadsheet December 2014.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to see one of our local churches collecting. Barkingside Tesco collect, too (I donate there and the collection point is regularly filled by shoppers). We've also set up a food bank collection point in the lobby of the Town Hall:
    http://www2.redbridge.gov.uk/cms/news_and_events/latest_news/2014/october/food_bank_collection_points.aspx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen collection points in other local churches. It's easy to organise. Just put out a box and the list of suitable foods, publicise it in your church newsletter and, if your priest makes announcements at the end of the mass/service, ask if he would mention the food bank or let someone else speak about it.

    You also need someone to take the donations to the Jubilee Church in Granville Road during their opening hours, where the dedicated and friendly volunteers receive and sort the food donations, make up parcels and sit and speak to the needy people who come in to collect parcels.

    Thanks to the generosity of parishioners at St John Vianney Catholic Church in Clayhall, I manage to deliver donations to the food bank every fortnight and a lot extra after our Harvest Festival.

    ReplyDelete