Wednesday, April 16, 2014

The Next in Line
– Euro Elections, London Region

Unless you have retreated to an election-proof bunker you will no doubt be aware that we have elections on May 22nd, both for the locals and the Euros (yawn!). Since we are doing hustings for the locals I am intending to do a series of posts here on the blog on the European Elections entitled – The Next In Line.

The thing about the Euro elections is that they are much simpler, using the D’Hondt method of Proportional Representation in a List system (don’t ask). We do not vote for individuals, we vote for a party list. Depending upon how many votes that list gets and a complicated mathematical formula will determine how many candidates on that list get to be MEPs, starting from number 1 down to number 8.

Now, we know who the existing MEPs for the London Region are and we know they are all standing again in their respective positions on their party list. We also know that each of the five main parties will be going into the election with the aim firstly to maintain what they’ve already got and then to increase their number in the European Parliament at the expense of one of the other parties. So, what I want to do is to have a look at who these potential new London MEPs are and I will be offering ‘the next in line’ a dedicated post on this blog of up to 300 words each.

I will publish them as and when I receive them.

Blimey! I only sent the invites out this afternoon and I’ve already hooked one. I wonder if he knows the story about the Tortoise and the Hare?

No comments:

Post a Comment