Sunday, November 06, 2011

Who’s That Girl

This post is dedicated to all those people out there in the background, mostly women, who make things tick, often without recognition.

In football it is the player who scores the goals who gets all the headlines. But any manager or coach worth their salt will know that to get those goals you need a team with a solid base and an engine room.

Some years ago there was a series of programmes on TV charting the changing personnel of pop groups through the 60s, 70s and 80s. One comment stuck with me. “You can eulogise all you like about Peter Green or Lindsey Buckingham but the heartbeat of Fleetwood Mac has remained constant throughout”. John McVie on Bass and Mick Fleetwod on drums.

This was no surprise to me as I had been a fan of The Shadows (but not Sir Cliff) back in the 60s and I was fascinated by the percussion and the rhythm behind Hank Marvin’s smile and spectacles.

Now, I don’t know what I was doing in 1978 but the release of Jeff Wayne’s War of the Worlds somehow passed me by. I was probably playing snooker. It wasn’t until about 2002 that I caught up when it was used as the soundtrack to a November 5th Fireworks display at the Brentwood centre. I was visibly impressed, so much so that my son bought me the double CD for Christmas.

But even then, it was not until last week that I realised why it is that I like it so much. Of course I knew it was the percussion and rhythm but not precisely why. It was only when I found the youtube video of it being performed that I saw what was going on. There are only fleeting glympses of it but it is there in the background. The drummer is giving it some wellie but beside him is a young girl who alternates between a xylophone and a tamborine, both percussion instruments, and finishes on a harp. You can see that she is really enjoying herself on the tamborine. It’s her that holds it all together. She’s the one who makes it zing, zip and rock. Here are a few stills:





And here’s the video again. Do have a look/listen and watch out for her in the background.


Of course if this collection of musicians were a government, council or corporation department guess who would be the first for the chop in these austere times? And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why this country is in such a f*&^ing mess.

Women's equality: clock is turning back as cuts bite, says Fawcett Society

4 comments:

  1. If this is the 2006 Live Tour then her name is Julia Thornton

    ReplyDelete
  2. ... or 2007 ... or 2008 .... or 2009 (according to the link you provided) ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Behind every famous man there's............. a mother-in-law who said "he'll never amount to much".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look under the heading "Video", Knowsie

    ReplyDelete