Friday, September 30, 2011

By Election in Aldborough Ward

Cllr Mike Figg [Labour] has resigned his position on Redbridge Council and there will now be a By Election. The report in the Ilford Recorder earlier today has been challenged as “inaccurate”. Screen shot below for when it changes. We wish Mike and his family well for the future. Here is his Press Release.

30th September 2011

Dear Editor

It was a great honour to be elected to Redbridge council in May 2010 and I am grateful to the residents of Aldborough for choosing me to represent them.

However, I recently got married and for family reasons we are going to need to move out of the area soon.

Because of this, I have reluctantly concluded that I must step down as a councillor immediately. I hope that an election can be called as soon as possible so that a replacement can be found to represent the interests of Aldborough in the ward and in the Town Hall.

From the moment I was elected, I enjoyed the work of being a councillor, working on a number of committees and working groups. In the future, I will look back on my time helping the Labour opposition to improve the running of the Town Hall as one of the highlights of my life.

Being a councillor also gave me a great reason to meet many more of the people of Redbridge (and particularly of Aldborough Ward) and to help or advise some of them when they were struggling with aspects of the council’s services.

It has been a pleasure as well as an honour to serve the people of Redbridge as a member of the council.

Yours sincerely,

Cllr Mike Figg (Aldborough)


click on image to enlarge


UPDATE 6 October 2011: The by election has been called for Thursday 10th November 2011.

13 comments:

  1. Running a by-election costs the Borough (that's you and me) many £thousands. This cost could have been significantly reduced if Mr Figgs had delayed his resignation until a few weeks before next May's London Assembly election. The by-election could then have taken place at the same time, lessening its costs significantly.

    Simply moving out of the Borough does not disqualify a sitting councillor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But if he had he would have been accused of engineering the situation to the advantage of Labour (higher turnout)... so I'm told.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's more to democracy than just cash Judith. There's the right of residents to have proper representation - something of which I would have thought you would have been aware.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll wager that at least two thirds of those residents don't bother to exercise their rights to have proper representation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You may well be right, taxpayer - especially in a by-election; but they have the opportunity - and the right to abstain if they so wish.

    As to cost, an early estimate given to me for the local authority costs is in the order of £15,500. But Judith is probably more concerned about the costs to her party if they field a candidate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Morris, what stunning insights into my motivation and character you reveal! I'm just so sorry you forgot to mention my regular campaigns to re-institute feudalism and the Divine Right of Kings.

    Perhaps next time, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never mind that Judith, have you noticed that the local Labour lot have been decapodemonted?

    ReplyDelete
  8. What, they've had their china figurines taken away from them?

    Or perhaps it's just that all political parties go through weird but sometimes necessary spasms from time to time, so gloating is genuinely out of place.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is an interesting development in Varna in Bulgaria,there is shortly to be an election for a new Mayor( who runs the town administration)
    Residents are so disillusioned with the current Mayor, that they have formed a new Party (the New Bulgar Party) and have proposed a donkey as opposition to the incumbent in the shortly to be run elections. I await the outcome with some anticipation, whilst resisting the temptation to make comparisons with other members of the
    "Equus africanus asinus" family.

    dopeyf

    ReplyDelete
  10. " the Divine Right of Kings"

    and the royal healing kiss please!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well Clive, if there is a high incidence of scrofula in the Borough, I would be delighted to speak to Her Maj about doing a bit of Touching for the King's Evil!

    ReplyDelete
  12. "Her Majesty's a pretty nice girl,
    but she doesn't have a lot to say
    Her Majesty's a pretty nice girl
    but she changes from day to day

    I want to tell her that I love her a lot
    But I gotta get a bellyful of wine
    Her Majesty's a pretty nice girl
    Someday I'm going to make her mine, oh yeh,
    someday I'm going to make her mine. "

    ReplyDelete
  13. Royal Wootton Basset sounds cool! I am an early baby from the Second Elizabethan Era!

    ReplyDelete